Thursday, 1 December 2011

This Week In The Garden

The bees are busy in the Warre Hive.  There is a window on the back of the bottom box so I can see when to add another box for them to make more wax to fill with more honey.  I don't have to keep opening them up, disturbing them and cooling their brood.  Its alot healthier way to keep bees.

Ella and I opened our other hive and we found they had built some extra comb between the fames.  It has the most amazing smell of honey and pollen.  The bees made this in its entirety, every cell, from wax that came from their wax glands.  It never ceases to amaze me what they can do.

The lemonade tree is finally sprouting new growth.

I have waited a month to find out if this colony would create a new queen.  I can't tell you the relief I felt when Ella and I saw the queen and eggs.  She's a good size too and the colony looks calm and healthy.  A bee colony has such a different temperament from a colony that does not have a queen.  They are demotivated to forage for pollen and nectar and can be very testy.  When we opened them, the colony was calm and focused.

I think these are called Egyptian onions or bunching onions.  They are edible.  They get to a certain point in their development and the stem splits open and new onion bulbs are born. 

This Casemoth is on the Atlantic Cedar tree outside our kitchen window.


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...