Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Work In Progress Wednesday

Remember this?
so far on Ben's birthday cushion cover:


Not that you can see it in the photo, but the backing piece is light green damask linen.  I'm going to use Pip Lincolne's Sew La Tea Do idea and use the front of one of Tony's old shirts for the back cover.  Remember I used the same idea for this one.  I love this idea because an old shirt is recycled and the cushion includes something of Ben's Dad.  For my overseas friends, the bird featured is a New Zealand native, its called a Pukeko



And here's the back.  I usually take the papers out as I stitch them together, but since I used some of the children's old writing paper. I wanted to see what, if any, wording was left when I finished the whole thing.  Remember those old quilts made long ago where women used the paper from letters to shape the fabric around and when you turn the quilt over you see a patchwork of old letters and wording? Which must in itself tell a wonderful story of life back then.


I ended up taking the papers out.  I've got less than a week to applique it onto the front cover, sew it all together and sew and fill a cushion inner and quilt some stitching on the hexagons all the while trying to keep it some sort of surprise.  I was going to stitch the poem I wrote for him on the front, but I'm running out of time, so I'm thinking I will put a paper copy of it in the back cover pocket.  (Another good reason for using an old shirt, pockets!)

2 comments:

  1. The back looks great, so glad you shared a photo of this. I hope you get it finished in time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours and the little pukeko birds. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...