Monday, 29 August 2011

Eco Dyeing With India Flint

The black markings come from wrapping the bundles in something made of iron.  These are all silk.  Silk and wool (being protein fibres) give the best leaf outlines and markings.   Silk third from the left is made from oak leaves.  They look wonderful hanging where they can catch the breeze.  They come alive.  Silk is wonderful to work with.


Two years ago I was fortunate enough to attend a 3 day workshop with India called Landskins.  We bundled silk and other fabrics using eucalyptus leaves (lots of different leaves were tried) and various found objects, simmered them in various metalled pots and stitched and finally felted it altogether to make a wrap.  I had already purchased her book Eco Colour because I have always wanted to learn about natural dyeing but did not want to use chemical mordants.  The workshop was amazing.  Each time since when I have boiled eucalyptus leaves with the smell filling the house, I am transported back to that magic time and I dream of the many possibilities........  Thanks India for the inspiration.

The silk on the left was made by wetting the fabric in vinegar and wrapping around a rusty old fashioned door knob and left in a sheltered place outside for a few days/weeks.  Looks like the sun I think.

3 comments:

  1. you've got great results with your fabrics.
    I think your house is lovely!!! It must be so inspiring to live there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous that you got to attend a class by India Flint. LOVE the results you got with the door knob. Hope you post all your future results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful result! I love what you are able to obtain with eco dyeing. Taking a class with India Flint is on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...